Thursday, June 08, 2006

Laundry Day

We never know what we'll find in the pockets of our kids on laundry day. Usually it's sand from the playground, a few special rocks, kleenex or a gum wrapper. Lately, though its been flowers. At least that's what the kids call them - although Dave is quick to point out that dandelions are weeds, not flowers. Last week when I did laundry (Yes, you read that correctly, I did laundry, not Dave!) I forgot to check the pockets. As I transferred the wet wash to the dryer I squelched a scream as I thought the long, black spindly things with furry bodies were some kind of unknown species of spider that had suddenly popped up in the midwest. Upon closer inspection, I saw there was, rather than a spider nest, an assortment of dandelions. I gathered all I could see (and feel) and put the clothes in the dryer. Of course, I missed some, but those were quickly discarded as I folded the laundry.

Fast forward to this morning as I'm getting dressed. I pull out a pair of underwear and, as I go to put them on, am startled by those same spindly spiders attached to the inside. Once again, I stop a scream, and further investigate. As I pulled them off one-by-one, I noticed their beauty and delicacy. Washed and dried, they almost look like little cotton balls, ready to wipe away any child-size owie. The picture doesn't do it justice, but I haven't had a chance to figure out my new camera. But, here it is...

1 comment:

  1. Yikes. Those DO look like some furry scurry creature.

    ReplyDelete