Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Family of Chefs


At three years of age, when Sophie was asked what she wanted to be when she grew up, she always replied, "A cook like Mommy." For those of you who know me and my culinary habits, you get the joke. For the rest of you, be happy that she has changed her mind and there won't be another "Doesn't everything get cooked on high?" cook in this family. But I digress...

A few years ago we gave Sophie the Better Homes & Garden Jr. Cookbook for her birthday and she delights in trying out new recipes. Last week's creation was "Celebration Cookie Pizza." John and Lucy also played major parts in the production - with John scooping peanut butter out of the jar and Lucy taking care of the yogurt for us. We shared it with Charlotte and Eleanor as well as Linda and Bob's clan - all to rave reviews.

The nice thing about having a family of chefs is the interest they take in food preparation. Lately, Sophie & Lucy have treated us each weekend to pancake or waffle mix. They get the mix all ready and then Dave does the cooking. Last weekend we got another treat in that Sophie had washed and cut up a humongo bowl of fresh strawberries. In the winter, we often made chocolate chip muffins before school - now that was a treat. :)

Birthday presents that indulge the "inner cook" in the children have been wonderful. I'm all for disposable birthday presents and presents with a cooking theme fit in perfectly. At Christmas, Mom gave Sophie and Lucy their own aprons and measuring cups, etc.. along with a baking mix. One of them was for cut-out cookies and I think the other was for pizza. (Note for Mom: there's a present idea for John!) Lucy, for her January birthday, received a fudge-making kit from Melanie. We had a wondful time making the fudge and then sharing it with Melanie's family.

All in all, cooking has been a wonderful thing to share with the kids - it may often take a bit longer and be a bit messier than if I did it myself - but their smiles are worth it!

2 comments:

  1. I think kids and cooking are a great mix. I have a fond memory of my lil sis and I watching Pippi Longstocking back when she was probably about 6 or 7 and when we finished watching it she leaned back and said... boy, now I'm really craving pancakes (there's a scene where Pippi makes them) and so we immediately proceeded to make pancakes and it was her first effort at cooking .... Food lovers like me consider that notable... kind of like taking your first step, saying your first word.... flipping your first flapjack! By the way, the pizza looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right - making meatloaf always makes me nostalgic as it was the first real "meal" I remember making when I was growing up. It's too bad Dave is a true meatloaf hater - I hardly ever make it anymore.

    ReplyDelete