Thursday, June 22, 2006

Happy Anniversary! Happy Birthday!



Each year, on this day, there's a lot of hugging and smiling going on - it happens to be both our wedding anniversary and Sophie's birthday. Nine years ago, on the afternoon of the 21st (after already being in labor since 6 am that morning) Dave looked at me and said, "Just hold out a few more hours Marci and the baby will be born on our anniversary." I'm sure I looked at him as though he were nuts and grunted out something to the effect of, "It better not be that long." (It probably wasn't that politely phrased though.) Well, she held out and sure enough, we now share the big day. She's always been so conscious of the sharing - often pointing out to strangers that not only is it her birthday, but it's also her mom and dad's anniversary. This morning she was in the bathroom brushing her hair when I first saw her. I barely got out the words, "Happy Birthday Sophie-girl" before she beamed at me and said, "Happy Anniversary."

Tonight we'll celebrate with a birthday supper of lasagna and then she'll help me make fruit pizza for her cake. Grandma Bev and Grandpa James will be here with us and we'll sit around the dining room table, remembering the nine years that make Sophie who she is.

Later, maybe next week, Dave and I will get a sitter and celebrate the 15 years that make us who we are - the couple who seems to disagree on anything political but who can't imagine life any differently.

The following are pics from the big days. (Take careful note of the size of those sleeves on my wedding dress - what was I thinking?!?!?!

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Sophie! Happy Anniversary, Marci and Dave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you're right! Those are some amazing sleeves!

    ReplyDelete