Friday, January 25, 2008

Women multitaskers...

People often say that women are better multitaskers than men. I disagree - at least in my case - and this article highlights some research in the area.

To highlight my lack of multitasking ability, take this afternoon's lunch as a perfect example: Dave and I met at one of those sportsbar places with televisions everywhere you turn. I couldn't focus - not at all. I'd start to say something and a screen would flash a new headline and I'd read about the man who poisoned his wife of 14 years and I'd totally lose my train of thought. Within my line of vision there were six televisions - all playing something different. Total overload. It got bad enough that Dave and I switched spots so I could only see two televisions - and then only if I turned my head. But when we switched, he didn't seem to notice the televisions at all - nor did I find him gazing at the tv instead of my brown eyes. OK, you're right. For those of you who personally know Dave you realize he probably wasn't actually gazing into my eyes, but he truly was focused on our conversation.

Another example was last night as I was cooking supper, talking on the phone, and telling the girls to hurry with their snack and get ready for ballet. At one point my back was to the stove and I turned around to see the milk, water, and butter mixture for the mashed potatoes had boiled over and was spreading onto the next burner as well as the counter. I hung up on Steph with an "OMG, you won't believe the mess I've got here," grabbed papertowel, turned off the burner and started mopping up the mess. Then I did the smartest thing I think I possibly could have at the time - I turned off all the burners and left everything until John and I got back from dropping off the girls. This was hard to do - after all I'm the one who's always five minutes late because I just try to do one more thing before I get out the door. But I did it. And when we got home the phone didn't ring and John hung out with Dave while I finished up. Our supper was still ready when the girls got home from ballet and John got home from hockey - and the kitchen was clean.

But still, an example of how I can only focus on one thing at a time. So, the next time we're at lunch and you notice me gazing off into space and making no sense in my conversation, just offer to switch places with me. We'll all have a better lunch!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marci...it was fun to find your blog! I just started my own and have enjoyed the great and sometimes strange world of connecting with others' thoughts, comments, and lives...

    I will check back... :-)

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too, can only focus on one thing on a time, to the point of things getting ridiculous. Even one TV set in my line of vision drives me crazy (that's why we don't have one). I too can only cook one thing at a time, read one thing at a time, and listen to only one person at a time. I can't talk on the phone and do anything else. I have to sit down to focus on the phone conversation. My husband calls me the anti-woman.

    ReplyDelete