Friday, January 04, 2008

Thank you Santa - whoever you are


In early December I got an unexpected present from Santa - the object I've been wanting for over five years but have always been too cheap to buy for myself. Here's how it unfolded:

As I sat at the computer around 5 pm on a Monday evening there was an obnoxiously loud knock at the backdoor. I assumed it was Dave or someone else with a heavy load so I hurried to the door but when I got there nobody was to be seen. Instead, there was a large gift-wrapped box with the label, "To Marci From Santa." I smiled, looked aruound some more and when I didn't see anybody I picked up the box, surprised by its heavy weight, and carried it into the dining room. I set it down and peered out the dining room and then the living room windows - no one around.

For some reason I chose not to open it at the time. If you know me at all you understand the incongruity of that - normally I would have just ripped it open and enjoyed the moment. But I didn't. I waited for Dave to get home from work. Of course, we didn't take the time to eat supper or anything like that - the moment he got home I gathered everyone in the dining room and ripped open the paper.

The look on Dave's face, I think, was even more surprised than mine. You see, I thought it was going to be some old Christmas plates that I'd been wanting. You know the kind - you probably bought them at Dayton's in the early 1990's - they're clear with a sort of abstract green tree in the middle of the plate. Well, I have six plates but was trying to get a hold of many more. So - my guess about the present was that someone had bought new Christmas dishes and was donating their old ones to me.

I was wrong - very wrong. For in the box was a brand spanking new white Kitchen-Aid Artisan mixer. Yes, you heard me - a new mixer. It's a beauty.

The kicker of the whole thing is I still don't know who gave it to me. I have my suspicions - and Dave actually knows because the person called him and told him it was an "anonymous" gift but I should feel free to change the color if I wanted. He won't tell me though...and from past experience I do know bribery doesn't work with him.

So - to Santa (who may or may not be reading this blog entry) thank you so very, very much! Christmas cookies were a breeze and the bread has been awesome. I think of you everytime my eyes spy the mixer on the counter. You did it - you pulled a wonderful surprise present and I am humbled to have been the recipient. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Love, Marci

1 comment:

  1. Will Dave tell Corby who bought if for you?

    ReplyDelete