Wednesday, June 20, 2007

"I thought we were going on a hike!"


…so said John as we started a 3.4 mile trail hike (The Pool) in Estes Park. Apparently he is used to Grama and Papa’s house in Sedona where a hike means rock climbing. His disappointment in the dirt trail didn’t last too long; within a few minutes he was looking for flowers and pointing out every time we spotted the stream and little waterfalls along the way. It was the perfect hike for us to start out with – not too strenuous but long enough for the kids to get a feel for the climbing and the unevenness of the path.

John and I turned back before Dave and the girls (I say they only hiked ½ mile more than us, but Dave wholeheartedly disagrees with me – could this be that competition thing we were just discussing last weekend with friends?!?! But I digress…) and stopped along the way back to take off our socks and shoes and dip our feet into the stream. From other hikers we learned the water temperature is a cool 25 degrees but it felt wonderful on our hot little feet. We stayed on “our” rock for about 10 minutes, alternately splashing our faces, sunning ourselves and dipping our feet. As we put on our shoes and continued on, John said, “This is the best hike ever.” I think it definitely rates right up there John – definitely right up there.

(Sidenote: My foot is tired and sore, but less sore than it would have been pre-surgery – definitely worth it! Now tomorrow after we do a 5 mile hike, I might be singing a different tune; let’s hope not.)

No comments:

Post a Comment