Friday, June 15, 2007

Are you ever too old for a playdate?

What makes summer? My answer is cool treats and friends. We spent the late morning and early afternoon with a friend, Carrie, and her two daughters last week - the kids don't really know each other that well but as I told Lucy, she should feel a big connection with Carrie because when I was pregnant with her Carrie and I walked three miles almost every morning. The joke back then was that I couldn't walk straight; it was a good thing Carrie was quick on her feet because every few steps I weaved right toward her. Unfortunately with two kids at home and a husband that traveled quite a bit, we found it harder and harder to get together for our morning walks. Then as my life was settling down Carrie had Lydia and then Ella... and then they moved across town ( a whole 10 minutes away, but in Grand Forks that can seem like the other end of the earth).
So, it was a real treat to get together - Lucy and Lydia really hit if off after some initial shyness and even though Ella was quite quiet at first she warmed up to John. During snack he boasted to the other kids, "I heard Ella talk!" We even played outside in the warm drizzling rain for a bit. There's something heartwarming about sitting around with a good friend watching your kids become friends too - not much is better than that.

As we pulled out of the driveway, with Lydia, Ella and Carrie waving to us, Sophie asked, "When are you too old for playdates? I hope I'm never that old." I laughed and reassured her that one is never too old for playdates - as we get older we just call them by different names... coffee, dinner, golf, walk, etc...

No comments:

Post a Comment