Sunday, June 17, 2007

Happy Father's Day Dad!


On our recent trip to Dad’s cabin I realized just how much I’m like Dad – there was the being able to fall asleep in two seconds flat, the love for our morning coffee (usually sitting on the deck soaking up our surroundings), the organization (as in the "cabin notebook"), the “do it now” instead of later personality, and the “Curious George” thinking as in always asking questions, whether they’re any of our business or not.

But instead of always being on the go, I like my downtime. That, too, I noticed at the cabin. Whereas I preferred to sit and read a book, Dad was always working on something. One night he yawned his way through supper and went to the loft for a quick nap – his snoring was heard within minutes. But as soon as he woke up (less than 30 minutes later), he was back at it – sanding away on the outside wall of the cabin and applying some kind of varnish to protect it from the elements.
Don’t get me wrong – Dad likes to relax too. But it isn’t the “go play a round of golf” or “head to Happy Hour with friends” type relaxing. It’s more the read a book, look at trade magazines, go out to the shop and fiddle around on a truck (note his "Still Plays with Trucks" sweatshirt), or play Solitaire on the computer. So, even there I guess Dad and I are alike – and that’s a wonderful thing for me. Happy Father’s Day Dad – I love you! Marci

No comments:

Post a Comment