Sunday, June 17, 2007

Holed up in Hotel Spearfish


At 8 am this morning:
John: Mom, my tummy hurts.
Me: Do you have to go poop? Why don't you head to the bathroom?
John (as he heads to the bathroom): It really hurts.
He stops, coughs and BLACHHHHHHHHH!

Dave (yelling): Get to the bathroom John - go, Go, GO!
John (in the bathroom): Mom, my tummy really hurts.

So there it was, our second day of vacation and John and I spent most of the day here in the hotel room, using the Holiday Inn ice bucket for a throw up bucket. (Thank God for bucket liners - remember the days when they didn't have them and we'd scoop out the ice into our buckets and put the ice straight into our mouths? How gross!)

I stayed with sick boy and Dave took the girls to breakfast. Dave, always thinking, brought me coffee and some pancakes. I knew John was pretty sick when he came over for a bite of pancakes, looked at them, turned green and threw up again. As the day went on he got louder and louder during these episodes - what is it with kids and loud vomiting? Or maybe it's just our kids? I'm sure all the hotel neighbors were wondering what in the world was going on in our bathroom, but I give the kid credit - there were at least 10 bouts and only once did anything miss the bucket. I guess as parents we've done at least one thing right - taught our kids how to aim for the bucket.

In between bouts of vomiting, I got a lot of blogging done and Dave got some time with the girls on this Father's Day. They went for a scenic drive down Canyon Road and got to sit by some rapids. Even better, by 3 pm John was suddenly done with throwing up. I'm not sure if I should give the credit to a few sips of Pepsi (thanks for the tip Mom and Dad) or if the virus had just run its course. It just seems too coincidental for the Pepsi to have worked, but who knows... if Lucy happens to wake up vomiting tomorrow, I know the first thing I'll try.

P.S. Just so you're not freaked out about hotel room cleanliness, I told housekeeping about the virus and before we leave I'll leave a note telling them to sanitize the bucket.
P.S.S. When John missed it was on HIS mattress - not on any hotel property. (When we only get one hotel room during travels, we always have "car" pillows for the kids and a crib mattress. We then put the crib mattress on the floor where one of the kids sleeps on it. This trip, it's John's turn.)

3 comments:

  1. ohhh... poor John. It sounds like the rest of you are having fun. I sure hope he's better now. I'll assume the lack of more posts suggests you are actually OUT having fun rather than in with a sick child writing about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Marse, that's the worst. I am keeping my fingers crossed that John's bug passes and doesn't turn into a family pandemic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you fit a crib mattress into your vehicle with three kids and everything you need to take on a vacation! I hope John is feeling better. How miserable. Hopefully nobody else catches it!

    ReplyDelete