Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Reminders (Note: This is a rant!)

Yesterday I had a regular (as Carmyn called it) "sh--fit" regarding sending email reminders to people. I refuse to do so but as this refusal has bit me in the butt a few times I guess I should reconsider my stance on email reminders. Just so you know, here’s my stance:

You are a professional. You signed up to be a part of this _____________ (insert one: book club, conference, writing group, committee). Part of your job when you sign up for something is to be a professional – as we know you are. So, for goodness sakes, mark the event down in your calendar. Don’t rely on me, the person who hates sending email, to send you a reminder email about a meeting that you should have written down in your calendar as soon as it was planned. I am not your babysitter; I am not your schedule maker – that is your job. You are a professional.

There, that’s my stance. Apparently, I’m in the minority. It seems the common thought is professionals need to be reminded two, three or even four times. And even then there’s a 50/50 chance they’ll forget about the event. Or, as illustrated by one case that happened last winter, people will think that since they didn’t receive a reminder about the meeting it must have been cancelled so they’ll schedule a lunch date with another committee member during the time of the meeting. Upon being reminded of the meeting, they’ll decide to show up – but will sit at said meeting with arms crossed and pouty faces throughout the entire event. Please don't do this; remember – you are a professional.

I do apologize for all the ranting. I guess I’ll stop now because I need to – guess what – send out a reminder email about an upcoming meeting.

5 comments:

  1. Well, let it all out...

    I, for some reason think that when something is planned a month or more in advance that a reminder isn't a bad thing... I actually am planning an event for May 29th with high school students and because I actually want them to be there I plan to send a postcard reminding them. My dentists and doctors do this too, for my scheduled appointments! I do know what you are saying, though. It's just not that hard for me to send a quick reminder. And if it makes a difference for someone, then it's totally worth it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo...I like this side of Marci. Rant on, friend.

    Yes, I am so tired of hand holding in so many situations. C'mon, people.

    See, I like to rant too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the validation Sara; I'm with you - c'mon people. I also want to point out that I haven't known Carmyn to miss a book club meeting or anything else yet - so, does she really need reminders? I think not. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK readers, especially Carmyn, should I admit that I just missed a meeting because I 1) wasn't sure I could attend, 2) didn't write it in my calendar for that reason, 3) didn't respond to the email for the same reason and 4) completely spaced it all out. Oops!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As evidence: the "Save the Date" cards for every modern wedding. Followed up by webpage link and finally, the formal invitation. My nerves can't take it. Send out an invitation and if I can come, I will. But people need to be reminded and nagged. It really annoys me.

    ReplyDelete