Thursday, May 10, 2007

It's never too late to start enjoying fiction...

In the almost-twenty years Dave and I have been together I’ve never known him to read a fiction book; in fact I’ve only known him to read a few “business” books along with tons and tons of trade magazines. This isn’t an adult habit, I’m thinking he’s always been this way since the only children’s book he entered into this marriage with was Fabulous Facts about the 50 States. When I was teaching at the university I once started to use him as an example of aliteracy but suddenly realized (as I was talking) that he doesn’t fit the definition at all – it’s just that he reads totally different material than I do and in my biased world I was thinking I was the "better" (as in stereotypical) reader.

Still, imagine my surprise when he went to my office and picked out a fiction book to read, finished it within a few days, chose another one, and has kept going for the past month. In fact, when he recently traveled to Dublin for a business trip he packed his usual trade magazines AND a fiction book.

I don’t know what brought about this change in Dave, but I surmise it might have something to do with seeing how much the rest of his family love books. One night before he left for Dublin the five of us sat around in the family room for a half-hour – each of us with a book in our hands and me with a big smile on my face. It was wonderful – now if I can only get him to go on a Barnes and Noble “date” with me…yeah right, don’t think that’ll be happening anytime soon.

2 comments:

  1. Adina's Dad: I had Fabulous Facts About the Fifty States. I loved it! It was a blue paperback that I bought through the "weekly reader" book order program at school. When my dad married a british woman (whom he later divorced), she borrowed my copy and read it from cover to cover in an attempt to "Americanize" herself. I still know where the book is in my Dad's house. Way to go Dave!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we're talking about the same darn book - you and Dave have more in common than one might think Jack!

    ReplyDelete