Monday, November 22, 2010

School and More School


Did I mention that I was inside studying yesterday as the children played in the snow and Dave hottubbed with neighbor? Oh, I did mention that - really? Well, if you're up for a pity party, keep reading. If you'd rather forgo my self indulgence, feel free to skip to another blog. I really don't mind. But here goes...

My transcript, if I must say so myself, is a bit full. It starts with a Bachelors of Education Degree in Elementary Education/Special Education, then has a Masters of Science in Education, and a Ph.D. in Teaching and Learning. Last year I tacked on another 15 credits for a Librarian's Credential and this year I am adding more classes in Special Education. And that's not counting any credits provided by the Red River Valley Writing Project or numerous other professional development classes I've taken.

So why am I taking Special Education classes you ask? In all honesty, I find myself asking that same questions over and over again lately. I'm all about learning more - and that's certainly what I've been doing this fall. Yet I'm a bit fed up with my transript and all my education and my teaching license. It all started 22 years ago when I was student teaching in Elementary and Special Education. That semester I discovered I could graduate early with an Elementary Education Degree. I had one class left to finish my Special Education Degree and knew I could take it by correspondence. So, I graduated in December, moved to Minneapolis in January, finished the class by May, and got my first teaching job in Farmington, MN in June. It all worked out perfectly. My MN teaching license showed I had special education so I didn't think I needed to do anything else for that part of my teaching license. Fast forward to 2010 and my frantic job search in late July/early August. I was offered a job as a special educator but my teaching license didn't show a special education endorsement. In essence, because I didn't go back and check on my college degree after finishing the correspondence class, I now have five, perhaps six, graduate classes I need to take. Each to the tune of about $1,000. Compare that to my undergraduate degree where I could take 21 credits for $650.00. This was a pretty costly mistake. The good news about it is that I was still able to accept the job and am enjoying it. I am remembering what it was about special education I loved - the kids, the kids, the kids.

Now I realize with No Child Left Behind and the fact I actually never taught in special education, I would probably have needed to take some classes. It's just that for once in my life, I am not excited about taking classes. In fact, I'm a bit resentful. Not at the institution, not at the professors, not at the classes themselves - just at life. I'm feeling the need for a little bit of a break. Any time now would be just fine... any time.


P.S. As I posted this entry to check for formatting, up came a pop-up window - for a graduate degree at one of those online universities. I about screamed.

1 comment:

  1. The semester is nearly done. Hang in there. YOU can do it!

    ReplyDelete