Saturday, November 20, 2010

Mama is a Cheerleader


I was a cheerleader for one season - and was never really good at it. In fact, I was probably one of the most unenthusiastic cheerleaders there ever was. I found it all to be embarassing - the standing in front of the crowd, the awkward yelling, and the forced jumps and high kicks. It just wasn't me - and I was so happy to have that 7th grade boys basketball season over with. After that season I became one of the stats for the team - and found the sideline work much more comfortable.

Yet, I'm sure my kids would say I'm a big cheerleader. They, in fact, are often embarassed by my cheerleading efforts whether it's telling a dancer "Great Job" after a ballet recital or yelling for all the little ones running in a summer track meet (pictured above). But what I love about cheering or congratulating someone on a job well done is that I'm sincere and (hopefully) encouraging. Maybe that's why I wasn't comfortable with the cheerleader status - it didn't always feel sincere and heartfelt. I mean really, your team is down by 30 points and you're cheering, "Here We Go Cubs, Here We Go" - does anybody actually believe that?

But give me a four year old who is running as hard as he can with a big smile on his face and I'm sure to cheer for him. I'm going clap my hands and yell "Great job - keep it up." and he might look over at me wondering who the crazy lady is that's yelling at him, but I really am "oh-so-proud" of that kid. So, call me a cheerleader.

No comments:

Post a Comment