Thursday, January 15, 2009

Radiator Warmth

There's nothing quite like sliding your hand into the warmth of a mitten that's been sitting on a radiator.  Unless it's putting on a hat that's been sitting on a radiator.  Or maybe if it's the feeling of dipping your feet into the warmth of boots that have been sitting at the bottom of a radiator.

We've got two radiators by the back door and from November until mid-April they're constantly covered in hats, mittens, gloves and sometimes scarves.  Our radiator habit started at the old house when the kids were small.  After an afternoon of playing outside they'd come in with wet hats,mittens,scarves, coats and snowpants - and all that outside gear went right on top of the eight foot long radiator in the living room or the four foot one in the dining room.  In no time at all everything would be dry and ready to be hung up again.

But when we moved here four years ago things changed.  The longest radiator in the house measures only three feet and is in John's bedroom so coats and snowpants now go in the dryer to dry while the hats and gloves go on top of the two radiators by the back door.  It always looks like a mess in that back hall but all I need to do to take my mind off it is slide my cold hands into a pair of mittens and the mess is forgotten.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:40 AM

    Gracious sakes. If that were the biggest mess in my house, I'd be OVERJOYED! All of my kids are home from school today (no school because of cold temperatures) and you would not believe the creative chaos.

    We have radiators. I might have to try your trick. I hadn't thought of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep in mind I may have "cleaned" things up a bit for the picture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we all do our "staging" for our blog photos. Ha! Love this entry. On cold mornings, I take the kids clothes and toss them in the dryer. Takes the edge off. It is snowing in Atlanta! Global warming my a__s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep trying to post and it won't let me. Boo hoo! Forgive me if I send you duplicates but my voice MUST be heard.

    This is such a great post. I put the kids clothes in the dryer on cold mornings. They love it. It is snowing here in Atlanta. Just a few flurries but the kids are excited. Global warming my as_!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've started moderating the comments section as I was starting to get comments like, "I like your blog - check out mine at...."

    The bad thing about moderating is when I don't get to the computer for a day (like this weekend), comments sit. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. chuck and i lifted and carried the sort of radiator of which you speak. it was at our old house---gone in the flood. unbelievably heavy(the radiator not the flood; although the flood was heavy in a metaphorical kind of way) we stripped one (i think we stripped it) and i repainted it outside under some tent-thing because it was raining.
    as for the comments....
    i've been reading stuff about blogs having comments...that people don't want to comment on blogs that don't have comments. maybe you want to keep those "I like your blog-check out mine at..." comments.
    by the way did i mention "I like your blog-check out mine at...."

    ReplyDelete