Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Climbing Club

Lucy on the Wall
John on the Wall

(Sophie missed the first two classes due to Sleeping Beauty ballet recitals - watch out on Monday!)

While visiting Nicole at Vail last fall I got to see a group of kids in action during their climbing club. At this particular class the kids were climbing up and down the wall as many times as they could trying to raise money for books in poverty-stricken countries. Now that's a fundraiser I can agree with on many levels - kids exercising both their bodies and minds AND literacy. C'mon - you can't get any better than that in my eyes.

Watching ten-year-old Susan climb (and even ballay me as I climbed)inspired me and I got to thinking how we could do a Climbing Club for Kids in Grand Forks. As soon as we got back I stopped by the Northern Heights Climbing Gym and talked to some of the guys there about the idea. You know it's a good idea when they were thinking the exact same thing.

SO that's where the kids are - Monday nights from 6:45-8:00 - at the climbing gym exercising minds and bodies at the same time. Now all we need is the literacy aspect.

No comments:

Post a Comment