Sunday, March 02, 2008

I'll be back - just not tonight...

We’ve had a rough go of it lately – chills, fevers and vomiting. Tummy aches and sore muscles. Then sore throats and hoarse voices. Besides that we’ve been plugging away next door.

Since I last blogged the project has turned into a home away from home. It has desks and chairs and rugs and bathtowels. It has painted walls, freshly sanded and varnished floors and new mopboard in every room. It has a brand-new bathroom on the second floor. It has pictures waiting to be hung. It has closets still needing painting and it still has a half-finished second floor – one more coat of paint to go on the hallway and bedrooms and then it’s time to sand that floor and give it a fresh coat of paint.

I’ve got hands that have to work to unclench themselves from a paint roller. I’ve got knees that are still black and blue because I thought I could “tough it out” and didn’t need to wear kneepads to be on my hands and knees hand sanding 1,300 square feet of hardwood floor.

And I’ve got a husband who, at 5 am or some other ungodly hour of the morning, will walk out our back door, stroll across the yard and through the side gate and find himself at work. Then, at about 7:15 he’ll join us at home for breakfast and we’ll walk the kids to school.

And the best thing is – he’s been so gracious about all we’ve (as in Charlie, John and I) done at the house and that’s helped make every single ache and pain of the past two months worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment