Wednesday, March 11, 2009

PG 13 for a Reason

Last night Mom and I went to the video store because I had it in my head that we (as in me, Dave, Sophie, Lucy John, and Mom and Dad) should all watch Ghost Town. In February I watched it all by myself when Dave was away on a trip and loved it. So much so I actually recommended it to quite a few people - including our wonderfully wholesome dentist.

Mom and I found the DVD at the store but I was surprised to see it was rated PG13. I racked my brains trying to figure out why - I didn't recall any nudity or violence. There was that one scene in the beginning of the story where a man is talking to his wife on the phone and we slowly figure out he's a jerk and is having an affair with a young woman named Amber. I took a minute and thought about what the kids would think and decided that the movie, as a whole, was worth it. I couldn't think of any other scenes I might object to so we got it and put it in.

Well, once the movie was playing it didn't take more than three minutes for me to see why it was rated PG13 - there was a major cuss word right in the beginning of it. I jumped when I heard it and looked at Mom who raised her eyebrows at me. We kept watching - my first mistake.

Then there was the part where there's talk of a mummy's private parts. We kept watching - my second mistake. (Oh wait - can it be a second mistake if I'd already made it once?!!)

There were various references to women, body parts, and lots of muttered expletives. Each time I jumped or coughed or made some other noise to try to drown out the movie. My final cough sequence, the one that came immediately before I told the kids they couldn't watch anymore, was so loud and lasted so long that Lucy asked me to be quiet so she could hear the movie.

They put up a fuss about having to leave. I tucked them in and as they lay on their air mattresses at Grama and Papa's I explained that I'd made a bad choice in ignoring the PG13 rating. And that even though I truly felt the overall message of the movie is an important one to learn, the movie itself was certainly not appropriate for them to watch. I summed up the movie for them - trying my very best at storytelling while all the while knowing I couldn't compete with the Hollywood version.

And then I hugged them and kissed them and said good night - all the while kicking myself for not heeding the PG13 warning.

So I've apoligised to our children - now what do I say to our dentist?!

4 comments:

  1. I am sure you dentist can handle the content of that film and if not... well, he can consider the implications of a PG 13 rating and make that decision himself... Now, this from a girl whose family thought it was just fine to watch Disclosure as a family film one Christmas when my youngest sister was about 7. Yikes. Even an R rating in my parents house was never much cause for concern. (no worries I won't ever let your kids watch anything about a G without your permission!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:22 PM

    I'm heading to the same dentist you go to today with our kids. Do you want me to tell them anything? Just kidding! I will leave that up to you. And btw, I need two crowns and I didn't even do anyting wrong...just wear and tear on my teeth...unbelievable!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there anything more embarrassing than watching something "naughty" with your parents. I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:34 PM

    I personally made a point of watching movies with my boys before they viewed them with friends, some were indeed questionable in regards to content. Take it from me, you're doing a stellar job as a parent.I will always enjoy reading the latest about your wonderful family.

    Paul

    ReplyDelete