Thursday, March 12, 2009

Checking on Dakota

I've been thinking about Dakota...and missing her. So this morning I called the kennel to see how she was doing. I didn't get the owners but I got another person who knows Dakota and she reassured me Dakota was doing fine and that she was sure she missed us.

With the phone disconnected but still in my hand I looked over to Dave and said, "I don't know what I really expected - I mean it's not like they'd let me talk to her or anything."

The strange thing is this - a year ago I never would have dreamed I'd call from vacation to check up on our dog. I don't think I ever did that with Dasher, (our "before kids" dog who we treated like a baby and slept with us every night) but then again Dasher usually stayed with family while we went on vacations. I think she only stayed in a kennel once in twelve years.

This dog has touched me in a way I didn't think I'd feel about an animal again. I love her smell, her soft paws, the way she licks my toes, and how she sleeps diagonally on her back with her legs all sprawled out. I miss her.

We'll all be happy to see her Sunday morning - and I think she'll be happy to see us too.

No comments:

Post a Comment