Thursday, September 06, 2007

Music to Hug By...

On Saturday night Dave and I were in the kitchen doing last-minute prep for dinner company. I was in the mood for some music and asked him to put in the Archies CD a friend burned for the kids. I was a little surprised (knowing Dave and all his conservative Republicanness) when the Dixie Chicks started playing instead of the Archies. I didn't tell him of his mistake - just enjoyed the music and the little joke played on him.

But when my favorite song came on, the one that makes me think of Dave every single time I hear it, tears came to my eyes. The refrain is just so perfect for the two of us:

and i come to find a refuge in the
easy silence that you make for me
it's okay when there's nothing more to say to me
and the peaceful quiet you create for me
and the way you keep the world at bay for me
the way you keep the world at bay
So, I went over to where he was cutting up some cheese, wrapped my arms around him and told him that he put in the Dixie Chicks instead of the Archies (he stiffened at that) but that this particular song reminds me of him. He laughed, turned around and saw the tears in my eyes. He didn't say a word, not a single word, just kept hugging me and the moment was perfect.

The entire lyrics can be found here, but really, you need to listen to the whole song and then go out and buy the CD because it's just that good.

2 comments:

  1. AWWW! I love the Dixie Chicks--as long as they're singin' and not talkin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a bit amazed that Dear ol' Dave couldn't tell the difference between the Archies and the Dixie Chicks, but it's cool that you had that moment. You made me tear up!

    I'm choosing to ignore Mary's comment. Oops. I guess maybe not. Hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete