Saturday, September 01, 2007

Dog Crazy

We almost came home with a dog on Thursday - the closet we've ever been. It all started with a visit to the pet store while Lucy was in ballet. Once there Sophie and I fell in love with a black and caramel English Springer Mix - she was absolutely beautiful and cuddly and so happy to be held. The minute I picked her up she started "talking" to me in the way only dogs can and it just felt like this dog was ours to take home. After a call to Dave he reluctantly brought John over so we could "rub" him down with the dog dander and saliva and watch carefully to see if he broke out. All was looking well - after 15 minutes there was a little tiny redness around his right eye, but not much at all. At that point I spoke with the owner of the pet store, explained our situation and John's allergies, and he agreed to let us take Cora (that was her name) home with us until Monday. If John broke out we'd bring her back but all fingers were crossed that he'd be fine. That took another 10 minutes and while we talked John and Sophie picked out a leash. Lucy danced away not knowing that a dog was so very close to our future. Then I noticed John rubbing his neck where Cora had snuggled. He insisted he'd been itchy before. I, of course, chose to believe him but still talked to him about allergy shots and promised I'd go with him every week if we needed to get them; I'm allergic to dogs too.

We picked Lucy up from ballet and walked her down to meet Cora - she was thrilled. Everything was confirmed with the owner - I'd drop the kids off at school on Friday and then come pick up Cora. It was set.

But then we got home - approximately 45 minutes after John first rubbed up with Cora. I looked at John and one of his eyes was almost completely swollen shut and he was itching away. With tears in my eyes I rounded the kids up and said we couldn't do it, we just couldn't do it. Sophie, of course, sobbed and sobbed. John said, "Why did God make me like dogs so much if I'm allergic?" Lucy, not as involved in all the original drama and anticipation, looked sad but then danced away. I called the owner back, full of apologies for wasting his time and for getting so attached to Cora already. He was very understanding but I don't know how he'll act if I ever enter his store again.

So there's our dog story for the week. Sophie's still upset about it - yesterday she told me she's going to get two dogs when she grows up, one for every dog we've looked at and hold and think about buying. I told her we'd better stop doing this to ourselves - more importantly, I better stop doing this to the kids. I told her I thought it best we don't go into another pet store for a really long time and that I better quit looking in the classifieds for the perfect dog. You see, I think we already found the perfect dog but we're just not the perfect family for her.

1 comment:

  1. Oh. I'm so sorry. If I could give John some ability to not be allergic to dogs I so, so would. How miserable.

    ReplyDelete