Sunday, February 11, 2007

Monkeyin' Around

Well, we had a FULL Saturday. I had no idea what sorts of crazy times I was signing on for. We started the day bright and early... 6:30 am on a Saturday. Like I said, I had no idea! And then before lunch we made a library trip (I had books to return and books to get for myself so it seemed like a great idea...) The kids settled on 8 books each... for an even two dozen. I thought that sounded about right! ;) We may actually read most of them before mom and dad return too... Today we read a couple Tacky the Penguin books and one called The Ballad of the Pirate Queens and Skippyjon Jones. We practiced some knitting and I even made an eye patch for Pirate John. Then we decided it was time to get ready for the big night.

The half-time show of the girls basketball game.

We got the hair done, the suit on, and we were off to the ballet company for practice... We fed Sophie some snacks before she left us--bananas, of course. And then the rest of the crew ate at the basketball game. There was a wee bit of miscommunication though. We thought the game started at 7:15 and would be done at a reasonable time... Ahhh, no. It started at 7:45 and so the halftime show wasn't until much later. We were ready to leave then (or shall I say, --I-- was ready to leave then) but there was no way John could leave until he saw if his team would win. And his team? Why whichever one was wearing blue. In this case, the "away team"-- the Spartans. So, he and Lucy cheered for their opposing teams and when the half-time show was done Sophie joined in. Lucy was recruited to draw the winning ticket for the 50/50 drawing. I think we have some future Knights on our hands.

The performance was fantastic. Our little monkey, I mean Sophie, did such a great job. They were one of three numbers and I overheard a man say theirs was the BEST of all of them. Of course they were all good, but I sort of agree.

I will say I am a little shocked at how little Lucy and John seem to know about basketball. And it was a bit of a test for me to try to explain the game in 5 year old terms; I think we covered fouls, free throws, jump balls, traveling, how the points are done in twos except for free throws and silly me, the three point shot. We also talked about sportsmanship, standing for the opposing teams school song etc. John even had an idea for how they could add goalies to the game. Each basketball hoop could have a person up there with a big stick to knock the ball out of the way. I said I thought that might be dangerous, but he explained they would wear a helmet. "That would certainly keep the scores low," I replied. "Yeah, like in hockey" was the response.

The Knights won; the day was fun. Don't even ask when they got to bed.

1 comment:

  1. We did have a great time. I loved his creative take on the whole aspect of including a goalie in basketball. He told me about his cool cousins who play hockey!

    ReplyDelete