Thursday, July 06, 2006

Carpet Pulling


I think I went a little overboard on July 3 - and I think we'll be paying for it for a few weeks. On that day, as typical of most lately, I woke up to an extremely stuffy nose, itchy eyes, and dull headache. You'd think my allergies would be better right now - this is usually one time of the summer when I'm "sneeze free" but that certainly hasn't been the case. In my mind, it must have been the carpet in the bedroom. Before we moved into the house, we made quite a duststorm when we took the 2+ layers of wallpaper off the wall and had the walls skimcoated and then painted. I sneezed through that project. We then had the drapes professionally cleaned, we had the carpet professionally cleaned and moved in. But still I sneezed. The next step was to get new curtains entirely - a lightweight version that is easy to throw in the washer. Still I sneezed. We then looked to Davey-baby, but even when he was in the UK, I sneezed. :)

Obviously then, the next step was the carpet. Upon the verbalization of this idea, I was greeted with a resounding "NO!" by Dave. So, I did it myself, mostly. (He did help me get the bed over the carpet lump, drag it to the deck and throw it down to the patio. He also went and got the trailer so we could dump the padding, and then he did that job. And finally, he helped roll up the carpet itself and take it over to neighbor Bob's house for use in his basement.) We now have a bedroom floor with tufts of horsehair padding still stuck to it. The floor itself is in pretty good shape, but it could use a sanding and poly job...but I'm not sure I have the energy for that one, especially considering the family room is still full of boxes.

So here we are, sleeping in the attic amidst the chaos of the kids' toys, ignoring the "elephant" down the hall, and, unfortunately, still sneezing.

1 comment: