Friday, July 07, 2006

Book Club


I love people, I love food, and I love books - so what's not to love about bookclub?! The answer is nothing - and last night proved that once again. A group of four of us met on a restaurant terrace and enjoyed good food and drink as we talked about the book and numerous other topics. Shelley Harwayne, one of my favorite "professional" authors once said something like, "A good book is one you have to put down so you can think about it and discuss it." I like that quote because it captures the essence of literature and the purpose of book club. Although last night's book was not one that made us ponder life's bigger questions, it did provide us with newfound knowledge and awe of the orchestrators of Chicago's World Fair of 1893. People are larger than books - I know that is so not profound, but it's true. I truly enjoy the company of the other book club members and just sitting back and hearing them talk. They, not the books themselves, help make our bookclub successful.

For a full update of the meeting and other books we've read, you can go to the newly created blog, rrvwpbookclub.blogspot.com Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could be in this book club...oh, wait...I was once! I am so glad.

    ReplyDelete