Sunday, January 28, 2007

My Dogs are Killing Me


Dogs are what my friend Anna calls her feet; she’s about the only person I know who calls them that, but over the past few years, I’ve grown fond of the saying. So, I’ll repeat it, my dogs are killing me. We went to church this morning, attended a brunch hosted by a neighbor, and then spent the rest of the afternoon at a “Welcome Theo” (a three month old little cutie) party. Although there was some sporadic sitting, most of the day involved standing around talking with friends and catching up with my former university crowd. It was a wonderful way to spend a Sunday, but my feet just can’t take it anymore. I’ve given up running, I’ve given up walking, I’ve given up pilates, I’ve given up yoga, and now apparently, I should give up standing and gabbing.

After visits with two podiatrists, it seems I’ve got three big issues with my feet, particularly my right foot – neuoromas, hammer toes, and a bunion at the top of my foot. (I didn’t know there was such a thing.) About a year ago I had my first cortisone shot and I was thrilled with the results – for about three months until the pain came back, worse than ever. I went back to the podiatrist in December and we talked about surgery for January, but after x-rays decided to wait a bit and try out another cortisone shot since the last one worked so well. Not so much with this round – in fact there was hardly any relief at all. What to do, what to do? All I know is my feet hurt and at this particular moment, I think I would be willing to try anything to get some relief. Any ideas?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Corby! I think you should fly up here and we'll have a pedicure together, my treat. Maybe Gail could come too. :)

    I've tried orthotics and now wear Earth shoes with a huge toe box. My podiatrist wasn't too impressed with my choice but they really are the most comfortable pair of shoes. You'd think with all this foot trouble that I must have always been in high heels, but you know me and can vouch that I'm a comfy fit kind of girl. It's so good to hear from you! Marci

    ReplyDelete