Tuesday, January 23, 2007

I’ve Never Swallowed So Much Water…


I’ve never really been much into water aerobics – back in the day when I was really into cardio workouts I either ran 3 miles or did step aerobics. With my feet hurting so much for the past few years, I’ve tried lap swimming. There’s something so very soothing about sliding into the cool water and hearing muffled music, breathing, and small splashing. It may not sound like much to any big swimmers out there, but since January 1st I’ve worked myself up from 10 laps in thirty minutes to 20 laps in the same amount of time. My next goal is 25, then 30, and ultimately swimming for at least a full hour without stopping.

Today though, I tried the extreme opposite of lap swimming – water aerobics. The last time I did water aerobics was when I was about eight months pregnant with Sophie. At that time there was a lot of soothing water movement that felt awesome for a woman with a swollen belly. Even though it’d been ten years since the last experience, I was expecting the same type of class. When I first got into the pool Roxy, the instructor, asked me if I was a good swimmer. I confidently said, “Yes,” and thought I was in for a relaxing piece-of-cake hour of exercise. Not so - there was a whole lot of loud music, lots of leg kicking and splashing, and wave upon wave in the pool. I found myself panting for breath as I did the “crawl like a baby” for a length of the pool. As others barked during the doggy paddle, I choked on a wave of water that went right up my nose. While others smiled when Roxy yelled, “One more backstroke, then front. Five, four, three, two, one…” I grimaced and had flashbacks of childhood swimming lessons and the fear of drowning. The good news is I survived… and I do plan to go back on Thursday.

1 comment:

  1. How very brave of you! I almost drowned in swimming lessons as a child... of course no one but me noticed and there was no need for CPR or anything, but I've not quite felt the same about water since.

    ReplyDelete