Monday, December 04, 2006

Building Aggravation or “Careful, I’m in a Foul Mood as I write this.”

What is it with some men that they think they are the world’s greatest gift to all of the rest of us peons. I’ve put up with two electricians for three days and, even though they seem to have done great work, I know I’ll never have them back. In fact, I complained to my general contractor about their attitude. Disclaimer: My general contractor and most everyone else he hired have been wonderful. Not so for the electricians; one man in particular “checked” me out each and every time he walked by – this wasn’t even a subtle eye appraisal, rather it was a full-blown head to toe and head to toe once again. The first time I had just gotten dressed and wondered if I’d forgotten to put my shirt on. The second time I thought, “Man, this guy must be hard up if he’s checking me out.” And for every time since then, I’ve made sure to look him right in the eye so that when he gets to my face, which I’m not sure if he actually ever will, he sees that I know exactly what he’s up to.

The second guy is a charmer – acts all polite but you just have the feeling that the second you walk away he’s up to no good. He’s the one I complained to this morning when they kept flipping breakers without telling me. I politely said, “You know, you really should let me know before you flip any breakers – I’m going to be working on the computer so just let me know and I’ll save what I’m working on.” About three hours later, as I was writing a blog entry about knitting, one of the electricians headed down the stairs. I quickly copied my work, went to open Word to paste in the entry and save it but before I could even get Word open, the electrician flipped the breaker. One cuss word later, he was up the stairs where I greeted him in a not-so-polite manner. He was apologetic, but come on … all I asked for was a two-minute notice of when the breaker would be flipped. It really shouldn’t be so hard.

Another thing that bugged me is that there doesn’t seem to be any common courtesy on their part. This morning I got groceries after dropping the kids off. I carried in six bags from the car at one time right as the “check me out” guy came out the backdoor for his cigarette break. He said “Hi,” again not looking me in the eye and continued to walk past me. Uh , ok, let me just get the doors all by myself as you sit and enjoy your cigarette. It’s not like I was asking him to bring in the groceries and then put them away… I pretty much had my hands full and could have used a little help with the door, that’s all.

OK, now that I’m done complaining, maybe I can get back to the knitting entry and try to recreate it. Trust me – it’ll be more enjoyable to read than this one!

1 comment:

  1. No, really.... a good rant is sometimes just what a girl needs!

    ReplyDelete