Saturday, April 05, 2008

Fire in the Kitchen

I spent a lot of time in the kitchen today. Dave's out-of-town so I made the usual breakfast followed by parmesan noodles for lunch. Then I made brownies for a playdate and went to town with chicken pot pie and a special dessert made from the leftover pie dough smothered in butter and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. Everything was perfect - until I called the kids to supper and was dishing up the pot pie and suddenly realized I left the piedough in the oven too long and it was burned - as in smokin' black.

Sophie was in the kitchen with me and I grabbed the pot holders to get the pan out but when I opened the oven door flames started shooting out. I quickly shut it and tried to think, "Baking soda or not. What am I not supposed to do? I know there's something that seems logical to use that you're not supposed to...was that water or baking soda? Should I use the fire extinguisher?" I went to the cupboard and grabbed the soda - almost empty. I told Sophie to get the other kids and go to the front porch and then grabbed the phone, dialed Mom in Arizona, and got the extra baking soda from the fridge. Got the answering machine at Mom's. I hung up and dialed Anna's number and Matt answered. I yelled, "There's a fire in the kitchen - what do I do?" Matt: "What?" Then Anna got on with him, my panic rose as I opened the oven door again and flames shot out, higher than before, so I yelled again -"There's a fire in the kitchen , what do I do?"

Anna, calm Anna, said, "Leave it alone, I'll be right there" and Matt advised, "Put a cover on it." I hung up, got a cover, opened the door to more flames but got the cover on to get enough flames out so I could get out the cookie sheet. Then I grabbed another cover and smothered it some more and looked up from the stove to see Anna running to the back door, baking soda in hand. Matt was 15 seconds behind her. She grabbed the potholders from me and took immediate charge of the baking sheet while Matt started opening doors to get the smoke out of the house.

They're my heroes - my real-life heroes. And now my plan is to print out this link and post it in the kitchen cupboard. Feel free to do the same.

2 comments:

  1. WHOA...that is one exciting memory in the kitchen! Thanks for the link, too...I actually just recently read something about smoke detectors and how kids often don't hear them/wake up to them while they are sleeping and was thinking that I really OUGHT to talk about some "fire safety" with my kids! Your post was a good reminder...

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS...

    I "tagged" you on my blog - if you are up for "playing" along - no pressure! :-)

    ReplyDelete