Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Shortlived Household Organization

In the weeks before my surgery I went on a crazy organizing kick - similar to that of the nesting instinct they talk about with pregnant women. The bathrooms were all stocked with plenty of toilet paper and clean towels, the beds all got clean linens, the laundry, instead of being a heap on the floor, was all clean, folded and put away, and the kids had clothes laid out for the upcoming week. The fridge and pantry were well stocked and I even cleaned the kitchen junk drawer, organized the laundry room and got the kids' toy room in tip-tip shape. You get the idea...

I can tell it's been a week since then - yesterday John wore two mismatched (as in one blue camoflauge and one white) socks to daycare while Sophie wore a fleece pullover she's been wearing for the past six years and Lucy wore her Sunday dress to school. On more than one occassion I've been thankful I had the foresight to put toilet paper in the bathrooms as the roll has run out in the middle of a job. And I've given up venturing into Sophie's room with my crutches for her good-night kiss - it's just way too much of a mess to navigate. (The pictures can attest to the mess.)

So, tonight's the night - cleaning time for this family. I'll bark orders from the couch while they get busy stacking and putting away papers, toys and water glasses. I'll probably hear it from the peanut gallery, but hey, a clean house and a good night kiss should be worth it for all of us.

1 comment:

  1. You tell Sophie that if that room isn't cleaned up by 10:00 am this morning, I will be flying up with my black Hefty cinch sack. My heart is racing with excitement just thinking about throwing away all that stuff on her floor. She will not like what happens next.

    Changed name of blog (don't want to associate it w/Jon's job!). Can't think of anything good--any ideas? For now:

    wwww.blurbsfromtheburbs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete